Forum

Using Python in external scripts
Contributor

Getting started with Kognitio and Python

by skkirkham » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:45 am

Hi all

Over the next few weeks we are planning to post a number of topics designed to get you up and running with Kognitio external scripting using python.
Each section contains a pdf and accompanying script with examples. In terms of the anlaytical tasks outlined these are delierately straightforwards but are designed to illustrate how to control the interaction between Kognitio and Python.

Posted already are 3 introductory pdfs and examples:
Introduction to Kognitio External scripting and Python (part 1). Basics and default parallelism
Introduction to Kognitio External scripting and Python (part 2). Controlling script processes: threads and nodes
Introduction to Kognitio External scripting and Python (part 3). Controlling processing of data: partition strategies

Followed by one standalone topic:
Introduction to Kognitio External scripting and Python (part 4). Using environment variables and alternatives
More standalone topics will follow. Although some knowledge of SQL and Python is assumed the examples are quite straightforward.

If you have any suggestions for future topics get me know

Regards
Sharon

Oh I forgot to mention these intros all assume that you already have a python environment set up on your kognitio system.
This is straightforward (assuming you have the appropriate privileges)

Code: Select all

create script environment PYTHON command '/usr/bin/python';
Note you can call the environment anything you like but the path must match where python is installed on your Kognitio system.
More about setting up script environments and associated privileges will be posted at a later date.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: Getting started with Kognitio and Python

by skkirkham » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 am

Hi all

I know many python users also utilise R for some analytical tasks. There is now a Kognitio and R version of this "Getting Started" course. Check it out here.

Regards
Sharon
Reply with quote Top