Forum

Discussions specific to version 8.1
Multiple Poster

Error installation preview version

by fabiano.fernandes » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm trying to install the preview version
http://www.kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

Installed version 7.02.01 rel130114 and have not had any problems ...

The error:

Code: Select all

THIS WILL ERASE ALL EXISTING DATABASE DATA
About to erase database data and reset to defaults.
Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort.
:
Logging startup to /var/log/wx2/logs-mestrado/startup.T_2013-09-27_14:56:53_AMT.
   -->  Cleaning up unwanted files/processes.
   -->  Clean up failed: falling back to pname method.
   -->  Examining system components.
   -->  Configuring WX2 software.
Generation results:
WARNING: Unable to recover images as no memory images detected.
WARNING: Memory image set not valid.  Rebuilding images instead.
WARNING: New boota is the same as new bootb.
   -->  Initialising disks.
   -->  Initialising Database.
   -->  Creating newsys.sql new system script
   -->  Building new database
   -->  Logging build to /var/log/wx2/logs-mestrado/newsys.T_2013-09-27_14:00:34_AMT
   -->  Creating base system tables
Stopping daemons as server crash reported during SMD operation.
08S02: [Kognitio][WX2 Driver] Session has been aborted
08S01: [Kognitio][WX2 Driver] Communications link failure
Error running newsys.sql, rc 256.
   -->  Replicating newsys logs to all nodes.
Failed, rc 0x40000001.

What goes wrong?
[]'s Fabiano Fernandes
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: Error installation preview version

by markc » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Fabiano,

If you are running on RH / Centos, then http://www.kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86 has relevant information on settings you need to make to switch off the Address Space Layout Randomization feature that is enabled by default on these distributions. Please try that and see if it allows your system to commission.

Failing that, could you tar up the contents of /var/log/wx2 on this node (I am assuming this is a one node system), and also the contents of /opt/kognitio/wx2, and /var/log/messages (will need root access for that one). Then attach the results to this topic, so we can review further.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Also, you should have been able to upgrade from your existing 7.2.1 installation to the technology preview, with "wxserver upgrade using <full path for wxpkg file>", rather than having to recommission and reload all data.

Having initiated the recommission this is not now an option for this system, but is something you could do for other 7.2.1 systems you have once we've resolved the commissioning issue you are seeing on this system.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi,

I have also been trying to get the 8.1 version installed on CentOS 32bit as well as Ubuntu, with no luck.
I tried both virtual (VMWare) and full HDD install. I followed install instructions and tried pretty much everything that I can think of, including
Any ideas?

Below is what I get:

About to create a new database on system 'quant10'.
WX2 system has: 1 node in 1 group.
Disk resources: 11.0G in 1 disk.
System has 1 unique type of node.
System has 1 unique type of disk.
System RAM 15.1G, 15.1G for data processing.
12 CPUs available for data processing.

Detected node classes:
full: 1 node

Detected Operating platforms:
Linux-2.6.32-358.el6.i686: 1 node

THIS WILL ERASE ALL EXISTING DATABASE DATA
About to erase database data and reset to defaults.
Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort.
:
Logging startup to /var/log/wx2/logs-quant10/startup.T_2013-11-29_16:26:18_EST.
--> Cleaning up unwanted files/processes.
--> Examining system components.
--> Configuring WX2 software.
Generation results:
WARNING: Unable to recover images as no memory images detected.
WARNING: Memory image set not valid. Rebuilding images instead.
WARNING: New boota is the same as new bootb.
--> Initialising disks.
--> Initialising Database.
--> Creating newsys.sql new system script
--> Building new database
--> Logging build to /var/log/wx2/logs-quant10/newsys.T_2013-11-29_16:26:27_EST
--> Creating base system tables
Stopping daemons as server crash reported during SMD operation.
08S02: [Kognitio][WX2 Driver] Session has been aborted
Error running newsys.sql, rc 256.
--> Replicating newsys logs to all nodes.
Nothing to do or -n option given to wxsync.
Failed, rc 0x40000001.
Complete. Hit enter to continue.
:

Thanks!
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Can you tar up the contents of /var/log/wx2 on the node, and also the /var/log/messages file and attach them to this thread so we can diagnose the issue.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Mark

Thanks for the prompt response.
Files attached
Attachments
wx2.tar
(42 KiB) Downloaded 720 times
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:42 pm

..and here is the messages file
Attachments
messages.zip
(71.13 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 pm

I think the problem is that you are running a 32-bit version of Linux, and that is no longer supported from version 8.1 of Kognitio - this should be covered in the release notes. The primary issue which prevented this was the new memory image reuse feature which allows fast restarts of the software using shared memory on the nodes - that development was simplified by no longer requiring 32-bit support.

Can you try this on a 64-bit Linux system?

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Mark,

Thanks for the insight.
Yes, the first thing I tried 64-bit centOS, Ubuntu and Fedora and I was not able to complete even the step 1 install.
Also, if it is of any help, I also tried previous version 7.X and I ran into exact same problem.

Can you recommend free Linux package / version that has been tried and tested with the new version?
I am looking to evaluate the software using a free Linux distribution running as a VM on VMware..

Thank you!
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:19 pm

Normally people use Kognitio on RHEL or SLES distributions, although we have used it successfully on e.g. CentOS in the past. I don't have access to the exact versions at the moment, but can check that on Monday and update this topic.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks Mark.
Hopefully, if everything goes well with the testing, I will end up using Kognitio on RHEL, but I think that it would be a good idea to make it so that the software can be easily evaluated using one of the free Linux distributions, or better yet, make a VMWare "ready to run" appliance with Kognitio installed and configured as a single node instance.

Also, I was previously trying to install Kognitio on 64-bit CentOS and the problem I ran into was that I was unable to run the linux-install-90100rel131107.sfx: permission denied.
I made sure that I have 32-bit libraries installed, but no luck. I am guessing that it is something to do with 32-bit libraries on 64-bit CentOS but I wasn't able to figure out the exact problem.

Thanks again.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:46 am

I just tried to install Kognitio on OpenSUSE 64-bit, and I am getting the same error messages as I was getting with CentOS 32-bit.
Thanks.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:51 am

If you can attach the same files as before for a failed attempt on a 64-bit version we will look at those as well - we would expect the software to work on 64-bit versions of CentOS and OpenSUSE.

Thanks,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Mark,

Some good news - I was able to install and commission Kognitio version 7.2.1 on openSUSE 64-bit VMWare single node instance, so far everything is working great.
However, I was not able to install version 8 on the same virtual machine.

Unfortunately, I don't have the error logs, I deleted them when I installed 7.2.1

So far, I tried 32 and 64 bit Ubunty, Centos, Fedora and OpenSUSE and I was only able to get V7 commissioned on OpenSUSE.
I think that this has to do with 32-bit libraries being pre-packaged on OpenSUSE. I tried adding the 32-bit libs on other distros but no luck, I was not able to even run step 1 of the install.

So, for me, OpenSUSE 64-bit is the best choice of free distros since it's the only one that I was able to get going.
I hope this helps others and saves some time experimenting with different Linux versions.

So, now, the problem remains of not being able to commission the version 8.
Unles you have other suggestions, the next step that I will try is to upgrade the installed version 7 to ver 8 , rather than trying to install version 8 from scratch.

On a different note, I must say that so far I am very impressed with the performance. A rather complex windowing SQL query on a 8-million row table takes about 4 seconds. For comparison, the same query with same table on InfiniDB took 21 seconds and PostgreSQL it took 45 seconds. This is all on a single node, 6-core machine. Nice!
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Glad you are getting good performance with 7.2.1. The good news is that 8.1 generally gives much better performance. However, I would expect upgrading to 8.1 to give the same problems as doing a clean install with 8.1 - if you could send us the log files and /var/log/messages for a failed install on 8.1 that should help us identify e.g. any issues with missing 32-bit libraries.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:02 pm

I've looked at issues that people have seen when installing the preview releases on CentOS in the past. These were:

1) "bad ELF interpreter" error when doing stage 1 install caused by missing 32-bit libraries:
./linux-install-70904prev130805.sfx: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory

To check the relevant libraries for a particular binary (including the installer), use "ldd <binary>". For missing entries, find out what package provides that library, then install that package.

Packages that we've seen missing on CentOS in the past, and also extra links that have been required:

yum install libgcc47.i686 -q -y
yum install openssl.i686 -q -y
ln -s /lib/libcrypto.so.10 /lib/libcrypto.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 /usr/lib/libssl.so

2) "/usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter" error as perl not installed

As above - need to install perl.

3) "Test for libgcc_s.so.1 (used by pthread_cancel()) failed: try installing the 32-bit libgcc package" and "Test for libraries failed: can't find libraries: libz.so.1" - more missing libraries

This happens with the wxbootcheck done during the commissioning process, and the problem should be clearly flagged in the output as shown above.

To resolve in this case, the libgcc.i686 and zlib.i686 packages were installed.

4) Problem with NUMA awareness, as numactl binary not available (from numactl.i686 package). A workaround for this is to disable NUMA awareness by adding "numa_aware=no" to the [boot options] section of the config file using the wxviconf command line tool.

5) Needed to disable firewall with multi-node systems to allow the nodes to communicate. "iptables -L" showed the firewall rules that were in place.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Mark,

Thanks for the tips.
Following your instructions I was able to get much further with trying to install Ver 8 on CentOS 64 bit.
I now get an error after "Creating newsys.sql new system script" (screenshot attached).
Logs attached.

Again, this is with CentOS 64-bit with 32-bit libs installed

Thanks.
Attachments
messages.tar.gz
(109.26 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
wx2.tar.gz
(22.42 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (80.84 KiB) Viewed 26778 times
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 am

Version 7 installed on the same two server instances with no problem.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:47 am

If you could tar up the files under /var/log/wx2, and the /var/log/messages file, and attach them to the case we can investigate further.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:09 am

Mark,

Attached are log files from the working version 7.
Error logs from the failed version 8 installation are attached to my previous post.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Attachments
wx2.tar.gz
(68.41 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
messages.tar.gz
(125.69 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 am

The log files from a failed 8.1 install/commission provided earlier were for a 32-bit distribution, and we know that Kognitio 8.1 does not work on such distributions (this is covered in the "Known Issues" section of the release notes). Version 7 does work on 32-bit distributions however.

What we'd like to understand is why installing 8.1 on a 64-bit distribution is not working for you. For that we need the /var/log/wx2 files from a failed install/commission on a 64-bit installation, along with /var/log/messages for that system. Could you provide those?

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Mark,

The logs attached to my prior post (the the one with screenshot) are for the failed 8.1 install on 64-bit CentOS

To clarify, I posted the logs 3 times; first time it was for failed 8.1 install on 32-bit CentOS, the second time was for failed 8.1 install on 64-bit CentOS and the third (last) last post for successful 7.1 install on CentOS 64

Did you just miss the attachments or is something wrong with them?

Thanks.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:34 am

Apologies - I did miss the attachments in the post which had the screen shot.

I'll look at those in more detail now.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am

Could you try 8.1 on that system again having used wxviconf to add "numa_aware=no" in the [boot options] section, as I can see some output in the smd output file suggesting a problem when trying to set affinity for processes. Version 8.1 is NUMA aware, unlike version 7, but setting that parameter will disable NUMA awareness.

If there is still a problem, can you send the log files again.

If this does not work, would you have a way to give us access to this system for a short period to investigate further? If that is possible, please email helpdesk at kognitio.com with any relevant information rather than post it in a public forum.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:20 pm

SUCCESS!!
Version 8.1 installed on CentOS 64bit after I disabled NUMA per your instructions.
Thank you very much for the help!

Now, I just need to figure out why the NUMA problem? My inital guess is that it has something to do with the fact that I am running CentOS as a virtual machine in VMWare.
I will try installing 8.1 directly on the HDD of the same PC to see if I get the same problem. Let me know if you have any other suggestions for me to try.

Thanks again!
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:20 am

Another thing - you sure were not kidding when you said that version 8 is even faster - for me, it's twice as fast as V7. In other words, I get the same query done in half time!

A fairly complex windowing function done on a table with 8 million rows:
PostgreSQL took 45 seconds
InfiniDB took 21 seconds
Kognitio Ver 7 took 4.2 seconds
Kognitio Ver 8: took only 2.1 seconds!

Keeping in mind that Kognitio is running on a virtual machine and the other two were running directly on the same Windows 7 machine (i7 4.2GHz 6-core)
I assume that Kognitio will run at least 20% faster when installed directly on the PC without VM. Not to mention that this is only a one-node server.
Also this is without any SQL optimization.
The 8 million records database was loaded with data from a 2.3Gb CSV file in about 17 seconds!

IMPRESSIVE!
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks - we will investigate the NUMA awareness issue on CentOS.

The good news is that your performance wins will scale up as you add more nodes to a system.

Also, as you suggest, doing a small amount of customisation work can often give big wins. For example, a lot of simple queries end up having a significant part doing filtering to discard most of the data and you will be able to get extra benefit for these by partitioning RAM images so that only a subset of the rows need to be scanned. This won't require any tweaking of your actual queries either, just a change to the syntax used when you create the memory images.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by quant123 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Also, an update: Without using VMWare, I was able to successfully install version 8 on CentOS 6.4 without having to disable NUMA.
It looks like NUMA problem may have been because I was running Centos as a virtual machine.

So, in summary, this is what I did, it may be helpful to others:
1. Download and install CentOS "CentOS-6.5-x86_64-LiveCD.iso", from DVD
2. Disable firewall using GUI, no kdump on install
3. Install 32-bit libs:
yum install libgcc47.i686 -q -y
yum install openssl.i686 -q -y
ln -s /lib/libcrypto.so.10 /lib/libcrypto.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 /usr/lib/libssl.so

4. yum install numactl.i686
5. yum install libgcc.i686 zlib.i686
6. make HDD partition for Kognitio using fdisk (set partition type 60 as per install instructions + do not mount the new partition)
7. Do the install following the "installation run through" document
8. Try it and be amazed :-)
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks for sharing that information.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:43 am

Information on what 32-bit libraries and other software need to be installed, and how to install them on common distributions, can be found at http://www.kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138.
Reply with quote Top