Forum

General discussion on using the Kognitio Analytical Platform.
Contributor

Kognitio and Pentaho

by schneider » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm

In doing some testing of Kognitio and Pentaho connectivity we are finding that some functions do not operate correctly.

1) Have you or any others attempted using Pentaho connecting to Kognitio.
2) If so what connection do you recommend, the Generic Database > ODBC method doesn't appear to work well

eg. doing a Combination Lookup/Update function throws the following error:

Unable to retrieve database information because of an error

Unable to get list of procedures from database meta-data:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: Kognitio and Pentaho

by markc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:41 am

A reply was sent privately to Anthony on this question, as he has a colleague who has investigated this issue before.

In the past people have used JDBC connectivity from Pentaho to talk to a JDBC bridge. The error seen in the original post appears to be caused by Pentaho calling SQLProcedures in the ODBC driver, and their generic database method does not handle all possible replies.
Reply with quote Top
Multiple Poster

by stillwater » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:31 pm

I am just getting started with a PoC consisting of Pentaho as BI, DI, and presentation layer, and Kognitio as the database layer, and Excel integration used as an MDX generator

What are the communication paths that I should be selecting?
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:02 am

I'm not clear what this last question addresses - what tool are you selecting communication paths in, and what options are you presented with?

I don't have direct experience with Pentaho, but would expect getting it to use Kognitio is the same as getting it to use any other back-end database. For further support on that you'd need to contact them for support, or look at Pentaho support forums.

Similarly for Excel interacting with Kognitio. We do have an MDX capability, so if you want to use Excel as an MDX client we can support that, but it is beyond the scope of these forums. If you email helpdesk at kognitio dot com, we should be able to put you in contact with someone who can assist on the MDX provider issue.
Reply with quote Top
Multiple Poster

by stillwater » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 pm

My apology for the ambiguity.

As the context of the original question was reporting trouble in the ODBC communication path, and personally, I spent a day trying to find the magic decoder ring to connect a JDBC path to an Oracle RAC service name within Pentaho, I was asking the collective brain about the communication paths between Pentaho/Excel and Kognitio that have worked well, in the hope that it would save me time setting up the PoC.

It was an open ended question, soliciting examples of success around the topic of connecting Pentaho to Kognitio and Excel to Kognitio.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

As mentioned in the earlier notes, it seems that Pentaho depends on the underlying driver supporting SQLProcedures if you use ODBC (and Kognitio's ODBC driver does not support this).

That is why people have gone for the JDBC connectivity route in the past. http://www.kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=89 explains how to set up JDBC connectivity to Kognitio.

Pentaho comes with a JDBC client, I believe, which can be configured to talk to the Kognitio JDBC bridge having set that up as mentioned above.

To connect from Excel to Kognitio using ODBC (not MDX):
  1. install the ODBC driver (use the 32 or 64 bit installer - to match whether Excel is 32 or 64 bit - linked to from http://www.kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10)
  2. from the relevant ODBC adminstrator (32 or 64 bit, depending which version of Excel you are using), create a DSN using the Kognitio ODBC driver you have just installed.
  3. go to the data tab in Excel, select "From Other Sources", then "ODBC DSN", then select the DSN you just created.
  4. enter credentials for connecting to that DSN (username and password)
  5. now you should be provided with a list of tables that you can connect to.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by schneider » Wed May 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Mark I'm interested in this line in the JDBC/ODBC Bridge installation instructions

"Linux platforms that are not a Kognitio AP must have an ODBC driver manager such as unixODBC installed."

I'm installing a Java application on a single node Kognitio environment, and am at the stage of installing the bridge which is failing as a result of no unixODBC Manager being found.

Is the above statement in fact incorrect and unixODBC is required regardless of whether it is on a Kognitio DB node/AP or not? (Which would make sense as the Java application is still going to make it's calls that the Kognitio driver cannot interpret).
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Wed May 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Anthony,

You are correct that there is no magic about a node being an AP (although a single node system won't actually be an AP, as an AP cannot run any DB processes). I guess the assumption in the documentation is that a Kognitio-provided AP will already have unixODBC installed, and so this step won't be necessary. In fact, it looks like the documentation is wrong and needs updating.

Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:33 am

NOTE: THE INFORMATION IN THIS POST REFERS TO THE DEPRECATED JDBC BRIDGE - SEE http://kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=427 FOR INFORMATION ON THE JDBC DRIVER WHICH REPLACES IT
Reply with quote Top