Forum

General discussion on using the Kognitio Analytical Platform.
Contributor

Windows or linux

by vishwasjione » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am

Hi,
I have to do a POC so wanted to ask what are all the Kognitio components I should download and on which OS should I intall this, windows or linux?

Thanks
Vi
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: Windows or linux

by markc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Vi,

Kognitio server software is available for Linux. Typically it is used with SLES/RHEL distributions, although a number of people have evaluated it on CentOS and other distributions.

If you look at http://www.kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103 you will find downloadable versions of the server software, along with accompanying documentation. Please let us know if you have any issues.

We do also provide a Console GUI for administration, and running SQL queries and scripts. The topic at http://www.kognitio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10 has more information on this including downloads and documentation. The Console is typically installed on Windows, although we do have users on Linux as well.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by vishwasjione » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks Mark,
You really made my day :).

I have Mapr hadoop with total 3 nodes. Do I need to install Kognitio on all three machines ?
Once installed how am I going to access Kognitio data via tools like Cognos,Microstrategy etc. ?

I am a beginner and my result of this POC is going to give a direction to a new projects, so you know your any comment, any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Vishwas
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Vishwas,

Normally people run the Kognitio software on a separate set of nodes to the Hadoop cluster, although moving forward we are likely to have the software co-exist on the same nodes. For now, I would recommend that you start with the Hadoop and Kognitio software running on separate nodes.

Once you have the software installed, you would normally install our ODBC driver on the machine(s) running Cognos, MSTR, etc.

For Windows, you can use the Console installer mentioned previously to install the Console GUI and ODBC driver.

For Linux and Solarisx86 there are instructions on how to install clients including the ODBC driver in the server software topic referred to previously.

Then you should just create DSNs as you would for any ODBC connection, and connectivity should be fine (provided you have network connectivity between the clients and Kognitio server, no firewalls preventing access, etc.)

If you need more detailed information on specific tools, I can get one of our presales team to speak with you - please let me know if you'd like that, and I can pass them them email address you used to register on the forum.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by vishwasjione » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks Mark,

So for POC purpose what can I do is change my Mapr Hadoop system from 3 nodes to 2 nodes and use one node for Kognitio and bring one more windows machine with microstrategy/cognos installed.

RedHat Linux Machine A - Hadoop Cluster (MapR)
RedHat Linux Machine B - Hadoop Cluster (MapR)
RedHat Linux Machine C - Kognitio
Windows7 Machine D - Cognos/Microstrategy

What are the setting I have to make in Machine C so that it can read HDFS data from Machine A & B ?

Thanks
Vishwas
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I don't have any direct experience using MapR, but as long as you can have HDFS client access as with other Hadoop distributions, then this PDF explains the basics about using our HDFS connector: http://www.kognitio.com/forums/HDFS%20Connector.pdf. More information is available in the version 8.1 release notes and full documentation which are attached to the server software topic referenced earlier.

Regards,
Mark.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:25 am

In addition, http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Access ... plications indicates that MapR provide a modified libhdfs.so which should allow clients (such as Kognitio's HDFS connector) to work unchanged, rather than having to use libMapRClient.so.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by vishwasjione » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Thank You Mark,

I am starting on this and will come back in case of any issues.
You might not no how much value you have provided to me in this regard, its immense.

Thank You
Vishwas
Reply with quote Top