Forum

General discussion on using the Kognitio Analytical Platform.
Contributor

How can I do upgrade pre-checks

by markc » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 pm

I know that upgrading to a new Kognitio software version runs some SQL before upgrading to check that the upgrade can proceed. For example, it checks whether there is enough space in the disk slabs to allow the upgrade.

Given that it can be hard to get a maintenance window to do an upgrade, is there any way to run these checks ahead of time, so I can ensure all is well. If they fail during the maintenance window it can take quite some time to get another window, having fixed the issues preventing the initial upgrade from being attempted.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: How can I do upgrade pre-checks

by markc » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm

You can install the new software version without making it current, by using "wxserver install <full path name for wxpkg file>". Then use its upg_pre script (in the software subdirectory for the release) as follows:

cd /opt/kognitio/wx2/<target software release>/software
./upg_pre <current software release number> test

This will output an SQL script to stdout with the pre-upgrade checks, which you can redirect to a file and then run at any time. If the script ends up jumping to the failure label and doing "quit 1" there is a problem which needs to be fixed. If it does "quit 0" all is well.

For example, to run the checks for upgrading from 7.2.1rel131209 to 8.1.0rel140121, you could put the latter's wxpkg file in /tmp and do:

wxserver install /tmp/wx2-80100rel140121.wxpkg
cd /opt/kognitio/wx2/ver80100rel140121/software
./upg_pre 70201 test >& /tmp/upg.sql
wxsubmit -s myserverdsn /tmp/upg.sql >& /tmp/upg.out
Reply with quote Top