Forum

General discussion on using the Kognitio Analytical Platform.
Multiple Poster

MySQL to Kognitio

by Deizreal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Hello

I trust that this finds you well and in good health.

I was wondering if anyone could maybe give us some advice on a little problem we have encountered.
We currently running a database based application that we resell to our clients and we are looking to migrating our systems over onto Kognitio from MySQL due to further plans that we have.

Is there any way for us to export and then import our current data base structure and tables into Kognitio's Database that we currently have running?

Thank you for your time and help on this matter.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: MySQL to Kognitio

by markc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:33 pm

There are no tools explicitly for migrating from MySQL to Kognitio, but there are a couple of approaches you could try:
  1. Export tables as CSV, then run your existing table create scripts, and import the data into Kognitio as CSV.
  2. Use the ODBC connector in version 8.1 to access the data directly from MySQL as external tables. You can then insert-select the data into a resident Kognitio table if you don't want to keep referring back to the MySQL data source.
Depending on the performance of the MySQL ODBC driver and connectivity between the Kognitio nodes(s) and MySQL system, the latter might be faster or slower than the former.
Reply with quote Top
Multiple Poster

by Deizreal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Alrighty I will sit down and give that a try I happened across a program called RazorSQL which I have found a feature that converts the table ww want to take across and the end result is a pretty much a copy and paste list of queries but it can become tendious doing it that way but I will give what you suggest a shot :)

Thank you for the assistance ^^
Reply with quote Top
Multiple Poster

by Deizreal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:47 am

Alright we are looking into the CSV method of doing it, but where we are having a problem is that MySQL dumps the CSV file with the LINE TERMINATED BY '\n' and it is giving us grief when it comes to now loading the data onto the table we have on kognitio.

We found that if we edit the csv in notepad and find and replace to remove '\n' Kognitio then loads it into the table.
For smaller tables that isnt a problem but we have clients with over 9 million records within that table and we arent able to open that document with word processors.

Is there anything in Kognitio that we are missing during the loading of the data? There is a section we were specify that \n is for recording ending but it still will not except the data until we remove \n completely from the csv file.

Any advice on what we can do here?

If possible we would like to avoid the ODBC way completely as it would become counter productive to our software that we have developed

Best regards,
Deizreal
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by markc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:02 pm

would it be possible to post a small example CSV file and target table definition?
Reply with quote Top