Forum

General discussion on using the Kognitio Analytical Platform.
Single Poster

CPU Useage

by Joe Nik » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:21 pm

I have a manager requesting me to get CPU useage, but I am always getting 9%. I am using the SYS.IPE_CPUINFO table to get my data, and the idle % is pretty much a consant. Is this really the CPU use, or am I doign something wrong? It doesn't make sense to me for the cpu use to be constant.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Joe
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: CPU Useage

by markc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:51 am

Joe,

IPE_CPUINFO is a virtual table giving a snapshot of the system state. It includes a timestamp field, so you can insert from it into a logging table you've created, then do some work, then insert again, and look at the differences.

You can also do spot-checks of IPE_CPUINFO whilst a workload is running - for example, if you do something which e.g. skews to one node (e.g. hashing a table t1 on column c1 which always has the same value, then self-joining on that column - note you should do this on a dev/test machine rather than a production one!) and then look at IDLE_PC you will see it is likely to be 0 for one of the cores on the node the data skews to, and much higher values (typically > 90%) on cores on other nodes assuming there is no other activity.

Mark.
Reply with quote Top