Forum

General discussion on using the Kognitio Analytical Platform.
Contributor

Can I log more information about SELECT queries?

by markc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:08 pm

I can see information in SYS.IPE_LOGIN about all connections/disconnections.

In SYS.IPE_TRANSACTION I can see information about the start/end of all transactions.

In SYS.IPE_COMMAND I can see information for every command run, but for SELECT queries I just see a DECLARE CURSOR statement. If I do an ODBC trace from the client I can see the subsequent OPEN, multiple FETCH, then CLOSE and UNDECLARE CURSOR statements.

My question is, can I see all those other cursor operations in SYS.IPE_COMMAND or elsewhere?
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: Can I log more information about SELECT queries?

by markc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 pm

The level of logging is dependent upon the llev parameter. Its value is checked at the start of each connection and used for the duration of that connection. So if you change llev it will only affect new connections, not existing ones. I would not recommend setting llev to a higher value than the default of 3 as a matter of course - you could experiment with it briefly whilst investigating performance on a test system though.

The settings are:
0 no logging
1 log connections and disconnections
2 as for 1, but also log start and end of transactions
3 as for 2, but also log most commands (not including OPEN, FETCH, CLOSE, UNDECLARE for cursor operations, unless they get a runtime error).
4 as for 3, but log all commands including the cursor operations excluded for 3

The default value is 3.

Note that increasing the value to 4 will make the logging slab (slab 2) fill up a lot quicker, so you would need to recover space on that slab more often than usual. Also, the load that simple SELECT queries put on the system will be higher as the cost of logging will become more significant, often even exceeding the resource required to run the query itself.
Reply with quote Top