Forum

General discussion on using the Kognitio Analytical Platform.
Contributor

How can I let a user run wxprobe, wxtool, etc.?

by anonymous2 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:07 pm

I can run these commands as the wxadmin or wxroot users, but when I try from another account I get:

FATAL ERROR: Timeout on mop packet - aborted before operation.
Hwmap not collected due to error.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: How can I let a user run wxprobe, wxtool, etc.?

by markc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm

To run commands like wxprobe the user must be in the wxadmin group at the time the system manager daemons (smds) were started. By default, the wxadmin and wxroot users created at commission time are in this group, but other users need to be added by an administrator.

To do this, as root run the following command on nodes which need to have the new user running commands like wxprobe (typically this will be on APs only):

usermod -Gwxadmin <username>

...then restart the smds by issuing the following as wxadmin/wxroot/root:

wxserver smd all restart

As you observed, if the user running wxprobe is not in the wxadmin group when the smds were last started, attempts to run wxprobe will typically result in the following:

FATAL ERROR: Timeout on mop packet - aborted before operation.
Hwmap not collected due to error.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: How can I let a user run wxprobe, wxtool, etc.?

by markc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:24 pm

A user recently reported problems running commands like wxprobe, which initially we thought were caused by not being in the correct group (as covered in the previous post).

However, a more basic problem existed - the user had not modified their path to include the directories with the Kognitio binaries. Looking in ~wxadmin/.bashrc after installation should show how to do this - typically people set the WXBASE environment variable to the base of the Kognitio install (usually /opt/kognitio/wx2/current), then invoke the examples/wx2-env script under that directory.
Reply with quote Top