Forum

Kognitio Console issues, advice, etc.
Multiple Poster

Console memory usage

by matfior » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 am

Hi all,
I downloaded and installed the latest version of Kognitio Console, (wx2clients-64-80101s151106), but I noticed that when I open it and connect to a DB, it ends up using 3.5 GB of my laptop RAM.
Also, if I disconnect, the RAM is not freed, so next time I reconnect the RAM occupation doubles.

Is this normal?
I understand this may be connected with metadata loading, but is there a way to change this behaviour?

regards,
Matteo
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: Console memory usage

by MikeAtkinson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:25 am

3.5 GB seems a bit high. The amount of metadata gathered can be modified by various configuration options.

"Load column data on connection" when checked will load column data for all tables and views in all visible schemas.
"Load schemas on connection" when checked will load all visible schemas and their tables and views (but not columns) when a connection is first made to a database.

"Cache metadata on PC" will cache metadata on disk and reload it on connection again to that database (with with same user name). This makes metadata available faster on connection to a database, perhaps much faster on a heavily overloaded database.
"Load column data on connection (if not cached)" updates column data for tables/views that are not cached.

To use the minimum metadata un-select all these options.

If you have access to lots of schemas, but usually access only a few consider selecting only the "Cache metadata on PC" option.

About 80% of memory usage is probably taken up by column data. So you can get a great improvement in memory usage by just selecting only "Load schemas on connection", perhaps also combined with "Cache metadata on PC".
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by MikeAtkinson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:30 am

Console Help gives more information. Run Help from the "Help | Console Help (F1)" menu.

Open the Configuration dialog and hover over the options in my previous post.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by MikeAtkinson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:35 am

Performance troubleshooting tool from the "Tools | Performance Troubleshooting ..." menu option, has more advice, particularly if the Console is running slowly because of the large amount of metadata being gathered.

Select "This seems to be a problem with Console and not the Kognitio server" and click "Next"

The "Console Issues" page gives more advice about how to use various configuration options to improve Console performance.
Reply with quote Top
Multiple Poster

by matfior » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:39 am

I unchecked all the metadata load options, but this does not change the memory usage, which is still 3.5 GB.
It may not be metadata, I think this has something to do with the console itself.
Anyway, when I try to close it crashes.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by MikeAtkinson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:58 am

If you are running the 32 bit version there should be a crash report, "Help | Crash reports ...". If you could send that to us (attached to your case) then that would be a great help.
Reply with quote Top
Multiple Poster

by matfior » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:43 pm

Deleting the .wxconsole directory under my windows profile did the trick, now everything is back to normal.
Reply with quote Top