Forum

Kognitio Console issues, advice, etc.
Contributor

Running code using Step (Cntrl+T) is glitchy

by William » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 am

Hi,

I generally run my code step by step using the Step (Cntrl+T) functionality in Kognitio Console.

On the most recent release (8.01.99-s170913 64-bit) this functionality seems to have changed.

On one hand I can now run steps in the order I want by selecting another code block and pressing Cntrl+T - previously this would automatically run the next step in the sequence. This change is a big improvement for me.

On the other hand pressing Cntrl+T works intermittently. Often it does nothing so I have to move the cursor one character left or right and then try again. This is a bit annoying.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Will
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: Running code using Step (Cntrl+T) is glitchy

by michaeld » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:47 am

Hi William,

Do you have an example of a script which shows this problem? I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

Mike
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by William » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:03 pm

select *
from inc.location_dim

I move my cursor to the asterisk
Press Cntrl+T - nothing happens

I move my cursor left one character
Press Cntrl+T - the script runs

This isn't an isolated incident. I have to move the cursor one character in order to run a script every time.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by William » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Also, it doesn't matter where my cursor is within the code block. My cursor can be within the word 'select' or 'from' or anywhere. The same thing happens.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by William » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:28 pm

I've just restarted Console and the problem seems to have resolved itself.
Sorry for wasting your time.
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by michaeld » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm

William,

That's no problem, I don't think it's a waste of time as there does seem to be a bug here. We've reproduced a bug where if you run a script as a kogscript with ctrl+t (e.g. 'select * from inc.location_dim;', with 'script' set to 'kogscript' under the options tab), it doesn't return anything, but shows as 'pending' in the history tab. If I then press ctrl+t again, it runs and produces results. However, for me it doesn't matter where the cursor is, it always hangs the first time and runs the second time. It could be that after restarting console, your script is now set to 'sql' which would explain why you don't see the bug any more. Does this match what you are seeing?

Mike
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by William » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm not sure.
Where would I see if my script is set to 'sql'?

Will
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

by MikeAtkinson » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 am

Under the "Options" tab there may be a "Script:" combobox, this will either show "SQL", "Lua" or "Kog". If the combobox is greyed out or not present then you are running SQL scripts.

The Console Configuration option under "Scripting" has a panel "Kognitio Scripting", if the "Enable" tickbox is set then this enables KogScripts, and the "Script:" combobox will be shown.

KogScripts are based on the Lua scripting language and allow the full range of flow control, functions, closures, etc. you would expect in a modern scripting language, but also have SQL statements native to the language.
Reply with quote Top