Forum

General topics applicable to all languages
Contributor

ET0111: User mapping for the external operation was invalid

by markc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:16 pm

I was running a technology preview with external scripting and all was well.

Now I have upgraded to the release 8.1 software, and my external script invocations get the "ET0111: User mapping for the external operation was invalid" error referred to in the subject.

What has gone wrong?
Reply with quote Top
Contributor

Re: ET0111: User mapping for the external operation was inva

by markc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:22 pm

The technology previews allowed all external scripts to run as root, but this is too insecure for the production release.

As noted at http://www.kognitio.com/forums/latest_810_relnotes.zip in the User mappings section, the production release requires valid user mappings to be setup to determine which Linux command-line user on the KAP nodes should be used for execution of each external script. Reading the release notes will explain how to set this up.

Note that a clean install from scratch will create the wxextern command-line user which will be the default user for running all external scripts unless otherwise specified. This is done when creating the wxadmin and wxroot users at install time. However, upgrading from a technolology preview, or 7.2.1, or any other release will not create this user as that is likely to be an unexpected side-effect of the upgrade which we would not want to surprise existing users with.

So on an upgrade you need to either set up some user mappings for existing users, or create the wxextern user on each node - typically this latter step can be done from the Linux command line by a suitable privileged user like this:

wxtool -S 'useradd -d /tmp -c "Kognitio external user" wxextern'
Reply with quote Top